Wednesday, 12 September 2018

Chapter Thirty Four: Father and Daughter


Bob had recently retired, so it was that he was home when his eldest daughter sought him out.
"Eh kiddo!" Bob began.  Then he saw the expression on Ainsley face.  "What's wrong?"
"Everything!" Ainsley sobbed.
"Come here.  Come tell Dad about it." Bob soothed, guiding Ainsley to the bench on the front porch.  "What's got my girl so upset eh?"
"Nn...nn..Nath-aniel." she choked out.
"What's the boy done?" Bob asked gruffly, in tones that possibly threatened violence.
"He's ... he said (mumble mumble)... some (mumble mumble) from med school ... and now he thinks... might be his." at which Ainsley trailed off into fresh crying.
"Slow down at bit.  Nathaniel has some girl on the side?"
"No." Ainsley sniffed.  "Not really."
"I'm confused.  Tell me again what happened."
"This old girlfriend of his turned up.  Some bimbo from med school.  She had a kid with her and now Nathaniel thinks it might be his."
"Oh" said Bob, taken aback "What's he going to do about it?" Bob stopped. "Do you need me to help kick him out?"
Ainsley chuckled just a little at the thought of her sixty plus father going head to head with the twenty something Nathaniel.  It felt good to have someone on her side.  Then she came to a realisation; she didn't want Nathaniel out.  She wanted to kick his rear end, but not out the door completely.  The thought of being without Nathaniel still caused her pain.
"No." Ainsley answered Bob's question "Not yet anyway."
"You're saying he didn't know about this kid?  That this lady showed up uninvited?" Bob confirmed.
"Hmm"
"What a piece of work." Bob marvelled.
"Yeah" Ainsley agreed.
"Does he know it's his kid?"  Bob asked "How old is this kid anyway?"
"Not for sure or anything and I don't know.  He said he hadn't seen her in three years, so."
"Must be a bit of a shock." Bob mused.
"It was." Ainsley agreed.
"I mean for him.  It can't be easy for a man to find out he was a father and never knew.  Nathaniel hasn't said he's leaving you for her has he?"
"No."
"And you're sure you don't want to kick him to the curb?"
"I think I still love him Dad."
"Of course you do."


Ainsley got up.  Still a little sad looking, but now dry-eyed.
"I think I need to talk to him."
"I'm here for you kiddo?  Okay?" Bob gave her a big hug and sent her on her way.  "Anytime."

No comments:

Post a Comment