There came a day when Billie asked Nathaniel to look after Emmett. She needed time to "find herself". She'd been offered a job and was moving away from her mothers place, away from San Myshuno. The job was an archaeological dig and she couldn't practically take Emmett with her. She knew he would be fine with Nathaniel. She'd be back in about a year; in time to enrol Emmett for school.
Poor Emmett may not have understood entirely, but after a couple of days he knew Mummy wasn't coming back for a while. Nathaniel tried to cheer him up with his favourite eggs, but it didn't really help.
Nathaniel was surprised to find Bob waiting in one of the patient rooms at work.
"What's going on Mr Pancakes?" Nathaniel asked.
"Oh, the old body isn't what it used to be." Bob replied airily.
Nathaniel had a read of Bob's chart. "Says here you've had some fatigue and numbness and you're..."
"Going to the bathroom twelve times a day?" Bob chuckled. "Yeah. I can't seem to keep any water in."
"That's not good Mr Pancakes." Nathaniel tutted, still reading the chart. "Your blood test here shows you've probably got diabetes."
"No big surprise, I guess." Bob said.
"Does Ainsley know you're in here?" Nathaniel asked curiously.
"No. And you're not to go worrying my daughter about this either." Bob growled softly.
"Mmphm" Nathaniel let out a snort. "You see that?" he asked, pointing to the hospital logo which was on a sign above Bob's bed. "We're in the hospital and while I'm on duty I can't legally tell anyone anything about you." Nathaniel looked hard at Bob in his hospital gown "You probably should though" he warned "You're gonna have to make some changes if you want to live to see one hundred."
At home, Bob played up the episode of unwellness that had sent him to the hospital. He spent a few days in his pyjamas, playing video games on the new console he had recently bought. It was the latest model with online capability. What he didn't do was make those changes to his diet and lifestyle the doctors recommended. He figured he was too set in his ways to change now. He also loved his food too much.
Addison got herself a job as an office assistant. It wasn't a dream job, but it would get some money coming in.
One magazine dubbed Eliza "Kitchen's Worst Nightmare" a commentary on her critic work and one she was rather proud of.
A couple of months passed and Emmett grew into a sturdy little fella. He settled in with Nathaniel and Ainsley, but was prone to the odd temper tantrum and general unruliness.
Billie missed a Skype session and claimed the camp had no internet access at the time. Then she missed another. She cut short what sessions they did have.
Finally a letter arrived. It was addressed to Nathaniel.
Dear Nathaniel, it read.
This is probably the hardest thing I have ever had to do.
I need you to look after our son.
I was never prepared to be a mother and although I love Emmett dearly, I cannot give him the life he deserves.
He is much better off with you and he even has Ainsley to be like a mother to him.
I have enclosed a letter to Emmett, trying to explain. Would you keep it and pass it on to him when you think he is ready? He is not old enough now, but I hope he comes to understand that I am doing what I believe is best for him.
I do not know if I will see you again, as I have decided to stay here in Egypt for the foreseeable future. I think it best for all concerned to make a clean break. I ask you to please only contact me in the event of a genuine emergency. All going well, I will pursue my own life and leave Emmett's in your capable hands.
I enclose a letter stating that it my intention to give you physical and legal custody.
Hurry up and marry that girl. Take care of my boy, and of yourself.
Happiness to you all.
Sincerely,
Billie.




Billie really disappoints
ReplyDeleteAww. Consider not being too hard on her. I could possibly have woven her into the story better, but she was living with this messy blended family in this tiny apartment that really wasn’t big enough for them and I didn’t “know” enough about Billie to thread her in. I also didn’t want Ainsley competing for mothering Emmett, since I discovered and decided to adopt him (Emmett was an MCCC surprise remember).
DeleteShe may just change her mind in time.
Delete