Sunday, 9 September 2018

Chapter Thirty One: Makin' Plans


Nathaniel actually hummed over his morning cup of coffee in the hospital staff lounge.


 Ainsley took Bob and Eliza out during the week to announce the engagement.  She was inexplicably nervous when the waiter came to take their order.  Then, once the table was relatively private again, she took the plunge.
"Mum, Dad, There's something I have to tell you." she paused to be certain she had their attention
"I'm engaged.  I asked Nathaniel to marry me."
"You did what?" Bob asked, with a knowing chuckle.  Eliza couldn't seem to find words.
"Yeah.  I asked him." Ainsley confirmed
"You're getting married?" Eliza queried, sounding puzzled.
"Mmm Hmm" Ainsley replied, a little crestfallen.
"You are going to do that properly aren't you?  With a dress and a priest?  In a Church?"
"Actually" Ainsley hesitated "I don't think Nathaniel wants to get married in the Church, but the rest of it.."
"Ought to be wonderful" Bob interjected, seeing the look on his wife's face "I'm so happy for you kiddo."
Eliza even managed to flush a little at that unspoken rebuke.

By the time the meal arrived, they were all smiles again.



Not too long after, Nathaniel and Ainsley agreed that one rent was better than two.  Nathaniel had accumulated surprisingly little in the way of possessions.  Together they took a few assorted ends of furniture to sell at the flea market and other items belonged as part of the apartment that Nathaniel was vacating.  Ultimately, moving across the corridor was easy and took little time.



 Mitchell, whose hair had recently gone grey, popped by to congratulate his neighbour friends.
"I'll show you some dance moves for the wedding" he offered
"You?  Show me, old man?" Nathaniel laughed good naturedly
"Watch who you're calling old man.  I can still dance circles around you, you big oaf." Mitchell shot back.  So they turned on some music and tried to show each other up, right there in the living room.  And although neither really proved a point, they both had a lot of fun.



A few days later, Nathaniel was alone again when there was a knock at the door.
"You after a rematch old man?" Nathaniel called, moving to open the door and clearly expecting to find Mitchell on the other side.
Unfortunately this visitor was a lot less welcome.  It turned out to be an ex-girlfriend of his; Billie Jang.

No comments:

Post a Comment